Jan 3-4 // Grand Rapids, MI
Jan 3-4 // Grand Rapids, MI
Where: Grand Rapids, Michigan (venue TBD)
When: January 3rd-4th, 2015, 12pm-6pm
Class Size: 10-15 Students
This course explores the fundamentals of visual communication from the point of view of the hand letterer in the larger context of communication strategies. Industry standards require illustrators and letterers to have a solid understanding of the working relationship between text, typography, image, meaning, and target audience. This course aims to teach the student what being an illustrative designer means and how it’s applied to his or her body of work as a whole.
After completing this course, students are expected to be able to:
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of type nomenclature and type families.
- Show confidence in integrating hand drawn letterforms with illustration and other visual medium.
- Verbally articulate design choices and ones’ thought process, identifying intent, inspiration, honest assessment and critique of ones’ own and other student work.
- Demonstrate use of visual hierarchies in message building within a composition.
- Demonstrate proper file naming, resolution, extensions, and organization.
- Present a specific working illustration process that incorporates traditional and digital illustration methods from start to finish.
- Present a beginning knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
Each student will be provided:
- (1) Pencil & Eraser
- (1) Sketchbook
- (1) Inking Pen
Molly will bring along "community supplies" as well for the class to experiment with if students would like to try their hand at a variety of techniques.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Your own Laptop (Mac and PC users welcome - Mac recommended)
- The newest version of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator installed on your laptop. If you currently do not own these programs, please download the 30 day free trial via Adobe right before you come to class.
- Calligraphy Supplies
- Additional art supplies you'd like to try
- Your Wacom Tablet or portable Cintiq
Sorry, there are no refunds once you've purchased your place in the class.
*once you pay for the workshop, we will use the email associated with your purchase to reach out to you about course details. If you have not received any information about the workshop within 72 hours of the class, please email us here.
*travel and accommodations not included.
*This class is intermediate level. Although you don't need to have any knowledge of the Adobe programs we'll be using - you are required to have a working knowledge of how to use a computer. If you have no previous experience with lettering or illustrative typography, please take my Skillshare Course BEFORE attending this workshop.
*If you sign up two attendees at once, you're eligible to use coupon code 2STUDENTS at checkout to receive 15% off your registration.
*College student discount available upon request
*Lunch and refreshments provided both days